Saturday, August 19, 2017

Shepherd's Needle and Stitcher's Garden

Shepard's Shade
Threads that Bind (Shawn Williams)
Punch Needle

Shepherd's Needle was one of the needlework shops AppleJack and I visited on our AR road trip.  It is a wonderful shop full of models, fibers, linens, trims and embellishments.  I mentioned in an earlier post Shawn Williams, Threads that Bind had taught a class two weeks prior to our visit--I should have planned better.  Shepherd's Shade was one of the many shop models.


I have had the kit for Shepherd's Shade in my stash for a long time.  After seeing the shop model it has given me motivation.  The shop owner graciously allowed me to take a photo I could use for reference.

Shepherd's Needle carries a large selection of linens.  This is an older Lizzie Kate Mystery sample called Things Unseen.  The linen I have chosen is 36 ct vintage pearled barley.  I am not a big fan of mystery samplers and usually do not get on board until the mystery is revealed.

After cutting the linen to exact measurements, the fabric is serged right at the cutting table.  Oaken by Picture this Plus for the Blackbird Design, the Winter is Past.

In addition to great linens, Shepherd's Needle had a great selection of trims for finishing.  These are from Lady Dot creates and Dames of the Needle.  Love the names of the trims:  Union, Chickie, Bear, Federal Gold, Bear and Jack

Stitcher's Garden is located in Conway, AR.  The shop owner recommended we eat at the Hole in the Wall Cafe.  She also had a great selection of linens.  This is chestnut for the design Easter Peep Parade by Brenda Gervais.

Am always on the hunt for great sampler linen.  This is Creek Bed Brown by R & R.

With fall on the horizon, I couldn't resist this Frightful Jack.

When I first moved to Nashville (thirty years ago) there were five needle work shops!  Sadly, the last of those five needlework shops will be closing August 26.  Through the years those needlework shops have introduced me to designers, techniques and my Stitching Sisters.  Shopping on line is just not the same as a visit to the LNS.  There are always great models to see, classes, and words of encouragement.  On the bright side, a new to me shop called Nashville Needleworks will be filling the void left by The Stitchin Post.  Needleworks has an e x t e n s i v e fiber offering.  You name the fiber and I think they carry it.  They will also be carry linens!  Whooooo Hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!  The best part, Kathy, the framer from Stitchin Post will be doing the framing at Needleworks.  When my stitching sister shared this news with me--I felt like a big void in my life had been filled.

AppleJack has always said "if you want to make Betty happy, just buy her a skein of floss."  Am so happy for shops like Shepherd's Needle, Stitcher's Garden and Nashville Needleworks who promote needlework.

6 comments:

  1. Shepherd's Shade is beautiful--so pastoral!
    All of this takes me back to my needlework days.
    You might enjoy a little shop about an hour from my place called Shepherd's Bush. If you are ever in the neighborhood, just holler! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean about needlework shops. There is nothing like really seeing the linen and floss and the inspiration of finished pieces. We usually fly into Nashville when we visit family so I will keep the new one in mind. I love the two in Northern Alabama. They would be fairly easy for you to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, there is nothing better than seeing lovely linens, fibers and models in person. Then there is the inspiration and motivation from other needlewomen! I have spent the last 12+ years without a local stitch shop after having worked in one for 9+ years; it saddens me that they are slowly disappearing. I love visiting shops when I travel and "suck" as much up as I can when I'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful new project. Shopping locally is always better, but not every shop can carry everything. Online does come in handy occasionally. Glad you have a new shop to get inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to see your purchases and hear about the lovely shops. it's always sad when a shop closes though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a great trip ! You won't believe it but out of the hundreds of patterns I looked at for punch needle at the Pattern Hutch in PF - I chose the exact same Halloween pattern as you ! Truly kindred spirits. Don't know when I'll start but Sept. I hope. WE had a great trip to your great state of Tenn. Hope to blog about it this week. Have a good week! Mel

    ReplyDelete